VideoScribe Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

Images become fuzzy/aliased when they're finished drawing

Hi!

Just started using the software and I liked it enough to upgrade to paid. I am having a couple of issues though. One is that the rendered text is unacceptably low-resolution, which I see has been mentioned elsewhere. 

But the other, a bit more of a concern, is what happens to images once they've finished drawing. I'm using SVG files my artist has created in Illustrator. When the hand is drawing them they look sharp and neat. But as soon as they "lock in," they fuzz out and look aliased. I've included screencaps of both for your reference. Is there anything I can do about this?

m615.png m615.png
68.8 KB
-2c2.png -2c2.png
121 KB

I have attached the SVG file and a screen shot of the hurdles which seem to be not loading correctly.

Thanks

The SVG you provided is different from the files used in the videoscribe screenshot.
The SVG(s) in the screenshot appear to be stroked paths
the SVG you attached is mostly outlines and fills.

Please attach just the hurdles SVG or SVGs in the exact form that they were used in the videoscribe screenshot if you want specific help with them.

(or export the whole scribe as a .scribe file and attach it here)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

My apologies Mike I inadvertently attached the wrong file. That was the AI file done with a brush tool, which I then redrew with the pencil tool as recommended by VS.

Oliver

Thanks,
Its strange, but the SVG works fine for me. It stays sharp and crisp even after the camera zooms in or moves to the next image.

I'd recommend that you delete the SVG from your scribe and then import it again. Maybe the symptom will go away.

If you have made more than one version, be sure and import the current version from your hard drive and not from the "recently used images" that show up on the import menu.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Hello Mike

I am having this problem with other newly started test Scribes as well. So it seems not to

be an individual image problem.

Thanks for you input and I will let you know what the support team come up with.

Cheers

Oliver

I'm getting a very similar problem... I have saved all the SVG's out of illustrator as per this article 

http://help.videoscribe.co/support/discussions/topics/1000031362

But as soon as I play the video is does the attached.

I originally made the video using the 800 pixel default (why such a low ppi?) but even upping that to 4000px and reopening the project and re importing the images again doesn’t seem to help?

Any ideas?

Please attach the actual SVG if you would like anyone to test it, troubleshoot it, or find settings that will make it draw better.

also:
related thread: Large Background Image Poor Quality 

and

UPDATED GUIDE: Making SVG Images Draw Well (2015 update)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

I would have but its not the SVG file that has the issue.

I'm started a new project after making the settings HD (1920px) and inserted the very same same SVG (with no amends to the SVG file from previous) and it comes in perfect even after the fill is applied.

The issue is with VideoScribe not recognising the resolution change when opening the older low res project. The only way I can find to get it to work is the following:

1. Change the resolution to something more than the minuscule 800px default (its mad to think in this day and age Sparkol thinks 800px is a standard size for video). Maybe the developers should add the resolution during the starting set up of a new project?

2. Open your low res document project

3. Select each and every frame/image and reimport the same image next to the existing low res version. MANUALLY copying every setting from it into the high res version.

4. Waste hrs of time redoing your work.

Done :(

The size of the artboard/canvas you use in your SVG editor will not affect the quality of the image when you import it into VideoScribe. The SVG (vector) image is converted into a bitmap when it is imported and the default image quality setting in VideoScribe will determine the quality of that converted bitmap. The vector parts of the SVG are used for the hand to follow to reveal the bitmap.

If you are embedding a bitmap image into your SVG then the quality of that image also needs to be increased before it is imported into your SVG editor to improve the image quality.

There is a 'Replace image' feature in the Image properties window that you can use to replace an image so that it has the same properties.

You should be aware that using a higher default image quality setting in VideoScribe will use more of the available memory; there is only a certain amount of RAM that VideoScribe can use on a computer regardless of the amount installed.

So… I’ll answer these comments the best way I can, in the hope this confusion around the issue is either answered or it can help others.

1. The size of the artboard/canvas you use in your SVG editor will not affect the quality of the image when you import it into VideoScribeThis has nothing to do with the issue I posted. Not really sure why you pointed it out but I guess it might help somebody?

2. If you are embedding a bitmap image into your SVG then the quality of that image also needs to be increased before it is imported into your SVG editor to improve the image qualityI’m not importing any bitmap images… The screen shot I posted above is ALL vector so this also has nothing to do with the issue.

3. There is a 'Replace image' feature in the Image properties window that you can use to replace an image so that it has the same propertiesThis doesn’t work… as my above post clearly says… 'I originally made the video using the 800 pixel default (why such a low ppi?) but even upping that to 4000px and reopening the project and re importing the images again doesn’t seem to help?” In addition… I even restarted the app, the computer and even reinstalled the app in the hope it would, but it didn’t.

4. You should be aware that using a higher default image quality setting in VideoScribe will use more of the available memory; there is only a certain amount of RAM that VideoScribe can use on a computer regardless of the amount installed - Why have the option to increase the pixel dimensions if the app can’t take advantage of it? Maybe, just maybe Sparkol should either write the app in something that can, or just have a default size that will be more in keeping with todays modern standards (not a 1991 standard of 800px)?

So… just to go over the issue again just incase the last 3 posts of mine weren’t clear:

• 800px is too small for a default video size in this day and age.

• The size of the video should be made clearer and available at the start of each project (instead of being hidden away under a app based preference).

• Even after starting a project at said tiny 800px size and then increasing the app dimensions to something more 21st century, and then re importing 100% vector SVG does (as per your example above) NOT make the ‘fill’ look less pixellated. I've attached a screenshot of the re-made high res video so you can se the difference from the 800px version to the 1920px version I had to remake. The SVG file is exactly the same... it hasn't been touched, re-saved or edited from the original I placed within the 800px project. But as you will see the 1920px version is clearly better.

• The only way to make the ‘fill’ look the same as the ‘line’ (hand/pen motion path) is to start a new project from scratch at a higher resolution and to re import all the SVG files again. 

I hope this clears everything up? But, it is now far to late to help me as I have already had to start the project again from scratch and re import all the images and manually mirror all the setting frame by frame from the low res project (almost 5hrs of work).

Thanks

Michael

800px is too small for a default video size in this day and age.

The default image quality setting is not setting the size of the video, it is setting the quality of each image when it is converted to a bitmap and added to the canvas.

The size of the video should be made clearer and available at the start of each project (instead of being hidden away under a app based preference).

The size of the rendered video is determined by the options chosen in the 'Create video file' screen

Even after starting a project at said tiny 800px size and then increasing the app dimensions to something more 21st century, and then re importing 100% vector SVG does (as per your example above) NOT make the ‘fill’ look less pixellated. I've attached a screenshot of the re-made high res video so you can se the difference from the 800px version to the 1920px version I had to remake. The SVG file is exactly the same... it hasn't been touched, re-saved or edited from the original I placed within the 800px project. But as you will see the 1920px version is clearly better.

The screenshot is not showing pixelation of the fill, it is showing the canvas texture that you have added to the scribe. The the texture is part of the canvas and therefore any elements placed on it will have the same texture.

The only way to make the ‘fill’ look the same as the ‘line’ (hand/pen motion path) is to start a new project from scratch at a higher resolution and to re import all the SVG files again. 

The only way to make the fill look the same as the line is to remove the canvas texture from the scribe. 

There is a 'Replace image' feature in the Image properties window that you can use to replace an image so that it has the same properties – This doesn’t work… as my above post clearly says… 'I originally made the video using the 800 pixel default (why such a low ppi?) but even upping that to 4000px and reopening the project and re importing the images again doesn’t seem to help?” In addition… I even restarted the app, the computer and even reinstalled the app in the hope it would, but it didn’t.

If you import the original image again from your computer and not from your recently used, the image quality will be improved (as you can see by comparing your two screenshots).

I hope this clears everything up? But, it is now far to late to help me as I have already had to start the project again from scratch and re import all the images and manually mirror all the setting frame by frame from the low res project (almost 5hrs of work).

If you save the project, exit the scribe, increase the image quality, load the scribe again and use the replace feature (making sure that you import the image from your computer and not your recently used images), the quality of the image will be increased and it will have the same properties as the image you are replacing.

for anyone else who has this question in the future... you don't have to make a new scribe

SHORT ANSWER:

Your symptom is: 1 or more blurry SVGS

Your problem is:  you want an easier way to update the image quality of multiple images without making a new scribe and copying images over to it.

easier solution:

1) close the scribe, change the DEFAULT IMAGE QUALITY setting to whatever works for you. (note: for properly prepared SVG images,  800 or 1000 may appear completely sharp and crisp even for a 1920 video)

2) After you update the quality setting, open your scribe again. all subsequent images imported will have the new setting (not images that are "replaced" using the replace button).

3) so...Click the old image in your timeline twice to focus on it. import a new copy of the image from your hard drive, click the "set camera" icon to save the same camera setting for the new image, scale it and position the same as the old image,  and copy the animation times from the old image. Then delete the old image.

4) repeat for each element that needs a new higher quality setting.

admittedly, this can still be a lot of work if you have imported a lot of images that ALL look blurry. but it's a great solution if you just need to update a few images.

END OF SHORT ANSWER

=============================================================================

LONGER ANSWER:

1) sometimes a user's replies (lord help me, I'm a user and I've done this too...) are based on a combination of actual symptoms, frustration and misunderstandings about how things work, how things are supposed to work, what factors can contribute to a symptom, what terms mean, and what certain values and settings actually do.

2) sometimes the user with the problem sometimes gets wound up in the stress of the situation and becomes more  concerned with winning an argument, or assigning blame... than cooperating in the troubleshooting, being receptive to clarification, and finding the best solution.

4) sometimes the thread devolves into point-by-point debates some of which still contain mistakes or are not relevant to the problem.

the point-by-point stuff in previously replies contains some misunderstandings and mistakes and probably needs 3 or 4 other separate threads to sort it out properly so I'm going to skip it. here's a key issue though:

The above user is correct that the REPLACE button won't work (I tested it on version 2.2.5 and 2.3.3). Using the REPLACE feature will not update the quality setting on an image (whether it is replaced from HDD or from "recently used" the result is the same). It will retain the original quality setting. You just have to IMPORT a new copy of the image to get the new quality setting.

Here is a screenshot I made of a scribe I started at quality 600 and imported 1 image. then I changed the quality to 2000 and made the remaining changes shown (you can right-click  and "view image" to see it full size):

(This test worked the same in version 2.2.5 and in 2.3.3 (probably 2.3.6 too)

note: if you like to use the same pause times and transition times on most elements, these can both be set as defaults (along with the default image quality) by closing all scribes and clicking the gear/cog icon in the lower right corner. default settings are applied automatically to each new element you import.

note: there actually seems to be a bug with the default quality setting in versions 2.3.x but it probably isn't too relevant to this thread. I have discussed it in another thread.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

GENERAL TIP: I'd recommend that users not jump up to 4000,  especially for a whole scribe... but try something like 1000 or 2000 and see how that works. I doubt there are many cases in which 4000 will give you a better result than 2000 (even for 1080p HD which is 1920x1080 pixels) unless there is something seriously wrong with your images.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment