VideoScribe Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

How to paint in colours?

I've just been watching the awesome work done by Heather Martinez (as per your link in the last newsletter: http://heathermartinez.com/tagged/Visual%20Toolbox)

While I understand most of what is done in those videos, how does she do the 'painting in' effect. For example the globe gets 'painted' and the NAEA logo builds.

Also:

how do some items appear on the screen (i.e. not drawn)

how did she do the taping down of the page

and what about the thick chalk drawn line

Sorry to ask a lot of questions, but it feels like I'm missing some tricks.

Hope you can answer at least some questions!

Ian

instant answer about filling in the colors: http://help.videoscribe.co/support/solutions/articles/1000033717-fill-an-image-with-colour-using-the

items can appear instantly if you reduce the draw time to zero. You can also use the move-in hand instead of the "normal" draw hand

My guess is that the taping motion was done with custom hands and an invisible element drawn on top of the tape

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Hi Ian, Thanks for inquiring about these techniques. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I wasn't on the boards and didn't know that you posted a question to me until Sparkol contacted me. I push the boundaries of the tool sometimes to make an object appear differently. Mike is spot on how I accomplish this with the objects and how I taped the paper down. If you are referring to the globe in "The Talent Turn," I use two different graphics to accomplish this: black and white outline drawn first with the customized silver cased sharpie with KF logo. And color version placed on top and painted on with a custom brush hand. I do it this way so that when the lines are drawn, none if the color shows up. I know VideoScribe has a way to color in after lines are drawn, but there always seems to be some overlap when I do it and I like how this looks better (more intentional). As for the NAEA logo, I simply create a path over the logo in the order I want it to draw/write. I do this with each and every single graphic in the scribe. Each one was draw by hand (pencil on paper), scanned, traced in Illustrator (turning it into a vector), and then the invisible path defined. I know that seems like a lot if work, but that's what makes these videos so unique and customized for the client. In addition to your questions...The NAEA has over 100 elements included. Because VS truncates the filenames, and that nearly every element was white (on white), I used a naming convention with numbers to organize the graphics. I hope this is helpful to you. Thank you for checking out my work! Heather

Wow Heather, what a detailed response. And no problem about not answering soon, I didn't expect a reply to be honest!

I have a project on at the moment with a local artist who is drawing the scenes by hand. I had already worked out that I needed to scan the drawing and use illustrators LivePaint to create the vectors. We have also been working on guide lines (set to transparent) so we can direct the SV hand to draw lines rather than shapes. I'm going to have a go at how you described to paint in the colour.

I love your techniques and if I manage something half as good as yours I will be happy!

Thanks

Ian

Thank you Ian!
I look forward to seeing your scribe! I've been toying with the idea of using another illustrator to do the drawings to expand the services I can offer. There are so many other people out there with great illustration talent. I like the idea of giving them some work. I love to collaborate so I hope you will share what you've learned from your experience back on this feed.

I'm sure your scribe will be great! Good luck!
Heather

Brilliant response Heather!  Thank you for taking the time out to explain all of that! :)  I'm hoping to apply some of these tips to my own work and even draw a few images myself, so your advice is just terrific.  Thank you very much!

Login to post a comment