Freezing and Not Responding

• 've been working on a scribe for a few days now and I am unable to continue to do so because the program keeps freezing and "not responding". I have a deadline to complete and it is crucial that I finish this scribe on time. It would be beneficial to receive answers as to why this is occurring or if there is a solution.

2 people have this question
  • Hi,

Almost always a result of oversized images or excessive camera settings.

related thread:  http://help.videoscribe.co/support/discussions/topics/1000023738

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Mike,

I prepared a rather large scribe (14 minutes).  Towards the end of the project VideoScribe started freezing, hanging, and refusing to make changes.  I understand there is a cap on the memory.

Now, I am trying to simplify the file, removing some images, and so forth.  It accept no changes, whatsoever.

Is there a workaround solution?

Regards,

Peter Labrie (Art of Leadership)

P.S. I have gone through the tricks and suggestions on the site.  They aren't working.

• Hi,
    If videoscribe has frozen/crashed then you may have to force-quit the program (on pc, use ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager. on mac I do not know the commands to force quit a program, but you can google it if you are unsure)

After force-quitting, the next time you start videoscribe (if you have auto save enabled) it will ask you if you want to restore your unsaved work. Click the check/tick mark to accept, and hopefully the backed up project will open. Sometimes after restarting videoscribe an oversize project will load and and least allow you to resave it if you don't try to make changes. Immediately save it to your base folder in videoscribe with a NEW name (to make a new copy). Then close it.

If you had previously saved your work, you will now have an older version already saved and a newer version saved with a new name.  It will be useful to have 2 versions saved as a backup file in case you get stuck again.

From the base folder of videoscribe, right click your project and export it as a .scribe file (this can be a third backup in case you accidentally mess up the other copies) then attach it here if you would like some help. I have some plans tonight but I may be able to take a look in the next 24 hours. I might be able to fine tune it a bit or possibly divide it into two files.

Customer support may also be able to help if you attach it here or save a copy of your project to the cloud folder.

(Note: If you were starting from scratch with a project that is more than 5 or 7 minutes, I would suggest that you divide them into 2 or more smaller projects, and then join the videos together later using a video editing program. Or you can upload multiple shorter videos to youtube and add them to a playlist and then "play all" to play them consecutively.)

If you want to divide it into 2 smaller projects yourself, open the saved project, delete elements from the end of the timeline until the length is down to about 7 minutes, then save the project with a new name such as "<original name> part1" then close it. During this process if videoscribe locks up you may have to close it and restart it again. Then open the original file again and delete the other half of the elements and save it as part2 (I hope that all makes sense) Do not overwrite previously saved file names if you can avoid it.

I hope I explained everything in a way that makes sense!

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• I added some replies but this forum is blocking them for some reason. mods might fix it later

• I'll try dividing into smaller sections:

If videoscribe has frozen/crashed then you may have to force-quit the program (on pc, use ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager. on mac I do not know the commands to force quit a program, but you can google it if you are unsure)

After force-quitting, the next time you start videoscribe (if you have auto save enabled) it will ask you if you want to restore your unsaved work. Click the check/tick mark to accept, and hopefully the backed up project will open. Sometimes after restarting videoscribe an oversize project will load and and least allow you to resave it if you don't try to make changes. Immediately save it to your base folder in videoscribe with a NEW name (to make a new copy). Then close it.

If you had previously saved your work, you will now have an older version already saved and a newer version saved with a new name.  It will be useful to have 2 versions saved as a backup file in case you get stuck again.

• From the base folder of videoscribe, right click your project and export it as a .scribe file (this can be a third backup in case you accidentally mess up the other copies) then attach it here if you would like some help. I have some plans tonight but I may be able to take a look in the next 24 hours. I might be able to fine tune it a bit or possibly divide it into two files.

Customer support may also be able to help if you attach it here or save a copy of your project to the cloud folder.

(Note: If you were starting from scratch with a project that is more than 5 or 7 minutes, I would suggest that you divide them into 2 or more smaller projects, and then join the videos together later using a video editing program. Or you can upload multiple shorter videos to youtube and add them to a playlist and then "play all" to play them consecutively.)

If you want to divide it into 2 smaller projects yourself, open the saved project, delete elements from the end of the timeline until the length is down to about 7 minutes, then save the project with a new name such as "<original name> part1" then close it. During this process if videoscribe locks up you may have to close it and restart it again. Then open the original file again and delete the other half of the elements and save it as part2 (I hope that all makes sense) Do not overwrite previously saved file names if you can avoid it.

I hope I explained everything in a way that makes sense!

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Mike,

I went into the folder to look for the first scribe.  It should be in : C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\VideoScribeDesktop\Local Store.

I looked for my scribe, entitled "Coalition for Change".  I didn't see it in that folder. Frankly, I don't see any of my projects in that folder.  Is that where the scribes are?  (This is strange because I produced the scribe in sho.co under the heading https://sho.co/1950X.)

The 'Coalition for Change" is a strategy for a political party.  Yes, it is too long (14 minutes).  Besides, I added a few chunky high-definition photos.  Now I realize the scribe should have been shorter, and less demanding on memory. Okay, I got that.

All I want to do is open the scribe, cut it down to around 8 minutes, and remove some of the bulky photos. But I cannot do this if if the program freezes.  I don't want to lose all the time invested in this first version.

If I cannot open the file, is it possible to export it as a PDF, and then recreate a shorter, and less memory-greedy version of this scribe?

Would that be an easier option?

Regards,

Peter Labrie

• Hi,
    I didn't explain it clearly enough.
    When I said the base folder, I meant for you to
    1) run videoscribe, and login.  (if you are prompted to restore your recent work, do that, then try to save it with a new file name. Then close it.) and then
    2) look at the projects that are saved on the main project screen. (The default view of the projects screen is called the base folder). If your project is there, you can right-click it to export it as a .scribe file without opening it. You can also try to open it if you think there is a chance that you can delete elements and save a new copy of it with a new name.

You can attach the .scribe file here or upload it to dropbox and provide a link if you would like somone here to try to help.

You do not need to look through windows explorer folders to locate your files.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Peter - The files in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\VideoScribeDesktop\Local Store are all given a random name so if customers call their scribe something really long they don't fall fowl of Window/Mac limits and work fails to save. What you call your file is stored in the code of the file itself rather than being the actual file name.

So it's always easier to find your work in VideoScribe and export it that it is to find the original base file.

• I'm also facing the same problem with an 8 minute file after importing the sound, it is not letting me save (freezing). Please advise.

• Hello Shalik, it would be really useful to have a look at your scribe and the mp3 as well.

If you can raise a support ticket and attach the mp3 that would be great. If you then save your scribe online and include the name of that in the ticket we can download that as well and take a look.

• Hi Barry, I was using 1200px image resolution. When I was trying to load the sound file, all the images were loading again and this was causing the application to hang. I reduced the image size to 400px and then loaded the sound file. After loading the sound file, I was able to proceed even after changing the image resolution to 1200px.

Just a suggestion, just for loading the sound file, I've to wait a good amount of time till all the scribe is loaded again, which is of no use. Please consider this fact during the next release.

• Hi Shalik,

Thanks for letting us know about this, I have passed the information onto our design and development teams.

Login to post a comment