VideoScribe Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

Who Owns the Project Files?

Hi everyone,

I have a client who I make regular (about monthly) whiteboard videos for. According to our agreement, they're buying the 'product' ie. the finished video (which they then give to paid members to use via their website).

However my client has asked for all my Videoscribe project files, so they can pay a student to work on them & translate them into other languages. However it makes me  feel uneasy to give these master files over without some sort of payment or agreement.

So my question is, who owns these files? Are they my intellectual property (plus a lot of the images are custom made SVGs, drawn by my company, using my equipment & Sparkol license?) Am I justified to hesitate and/or want payment for the files? Has anyone got any feedback on this?

Your input is much appreciated.

TIA,

Brit

It would depend largely on the contract that you have with your client and the terms of that. 

For example the App Licence and user terms you sign with us say that you can use your videos for your own personal and commercial uses without an active subscription however you need to have an active subscription to sell anything created using the application to a third party. So we have set out what you can do with the content created and been explicit about the need for payment. 

Thank you Barry. As far as I know, my client's company also have an active subscription to videoscribe.

To paraphrase:

I think Barry is telling you that, while your paid membership is active, you are ALLOWED to sell anything you create with Videoscribe to your client.

Whether or not you CHOOSE to sell ALL of the work files, or JUST the video, is completely up to you. In general, it is best to make that decision and include it in a written contract before work begins, so that you and you client have the same understanding of what will be provided.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Thank you very much for your comment. Much appreciated.

Login to post a comment