VideoScribe Turns Strokes to Fills

• Hey all, I have just started using VideoScribe. I've watched tutorials and been trained by my coworker who uses the program daily. I have run into an issue that has stumped us both and i haven't found a good fix for it in the forums yet.

I have tried using CC as well as CS6 to save SVG files. I draw all my lines with the pencil tool or the pen tool. I've tried some just pencil, some just pen, and some a combination and EVERY TIME I bring the file into VideoScribe it places the file with fills instead of strokes. When you play the video, it will trace the strokes out, then at the end changes them all to black fills again. 

I've also tried saving with these settings that i found in an older forum, still no luck. 

1 person has this question

• I can think of a few things that might be going wrong but let's have a look at your SVG first. Please attach one of your SVG images that is not working correctly so we can test it and/or tell you what the problem is. 

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• (if you have fixed your SVG then maybe you are importing an old (bad) cached version from "recently used" images instead of importing the new fixed one from it's location on your hard drive. But if there is a problem with the SVG, we'll need to see it in order to diagnose it.)

• I am also having this issue, all my settings follow the guides list by tutorials here on the website and yet simple text drawn with the paintbrush\pen\pencil tool, builds the outlines first then fills everything in at the end.

Very important to figure out a solution to this quickly... thanks in advance. File attached.
    svg
  • Okay well after taking a mental break and researching more, I solved my own problem... using the "5 steps" in Method 2 on this link... http://help.videoscribe.co/support/solutions/articles/1000033714-create-your-own-images

For Lauren Lawson also I hope, just understand that Adobe Illustrator is apparently super picky about the way it is creating lines, so even if it seems like it is set to basic, it can still be having some "effect" in the Brushes menu... and following those steps above you are creating that super simple basic invisible line for VideoScribe to be able to use. I admit for something like a full color cartoon this may not work so well... the artwork I was using was handdrawn lettering and very basic lines with some minor caligraphy strokes.

Hope this is useful to some people, as it screwed me up quite a bit also,
    ~MBusher
  • Sorry here is my svg file if anyone needs to examine it, just very simple artwork with the invisible duplicate image on a layer above the actual artwork.

svg
  • Still no luck in finding a fix for my issue. I tried the link Marcus used and no luck. Every SVG file i have made performs the same way. 

Here are the two simple files I tried this morning. SMILE2.svg was me trying the steps from the link Marcus sent.

svg
    (2.31 KB)
    svg
    (1.7 KB)
  • Hi,
    I resaved your SVG using (all of) the correct settings provided in the screenshot in my previous post. please try the attached file.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

svg
  • also here is the long list of tips for Making SVG Images Draw Well (2015 update)

and a previous thread mentioning the black blob problem: Imported SVG shows black fill instead of colour

Hope that helps,
    -Mike

• for Marcus:
    If you use the pen or pencil tool with a BASIC stroke (no calligraphy brush or any other styles or effects) then it will draw correctly in videoscribe without going through the trouble of duplicating layers or creating outlines or making an extra path of any kind.

However if you want  any kind of shaped or tapered stroke or paintbrush styles then you have to use the steps that you mentioned from that other tutorial (adding a transparent basic stroke for the videoscribe hand to follow).

(in either case you should still use the recommended settings in the screenshot in the previous post when saving if you use Illustrator CC)

Hope that helps,
    -Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment