Default Folder for Saving Scribe Files--Usability stinks

• Why do I have to choose where I want to save my VideoScribe file each time, whether export to scribe, to cloud, to pdf? Or base folder vs another folder. What does that even mean? Where is this "base" folder located?  Is the "home" view the "base folder" area? Kind of a silly UI for opening your files.

I want to save to the folder I choose on my local computer always. I work on various scribes on different projects. I don't want them all in the Scribe appdata folders.

Can't I just set the save default folder to be on my LOCAL pc and not have to choose it each time? I don't want to save it online. Only locally on my computer.

See attached image for confusing UI analysis and a mockup of a possible solution.

2 people like this idea
  • Thanks for the idea Sophia and taking time to explain your issues and ideas in so much detail. 

We have 3 save options essentially in VideoScribe as .pdf is more of a storyboard extract than a formal file save.

- As you have stated by default VideoScribe saves locally on your computer to a pre-determined location (appdata) and we call the base folder which means your projects show on the project screen when you log-in.

- For those who want to use VideoScribe on different computers (home and office for example) we have the cloud folder so you can save work and then pick it up again elsewhere. 

- Finally we have export and we have envisioned that for people who want to send their work to others so they can work on it in their accounts 

I think what you are essentially asking is a tweak to option 1 to allow you to amend the default save location is you desire. Most customers will probably just leave things as is but you would like to have the files somewhere other than appdata. I would be very interested in seeing how many customers share your desire for this so please comment below and 'Like' the original post if it's something that would interest you.

Sophia, would you mind me asking what the reason for moving these files to another area of your computer. Is it something about appdata specifically that concerns you or is there other reasons?

• Hi Barry,

Here's several reasons why:

1. I have various projects for products I work on. I do various scribes for these projects which I have organized into project folders on my computer. I put all these project folders under My Documents. For example, for Product X, I have the folder Product X. Product Y with the folder Product Y on my computer.

Under each Project folder, I have help, brochures, videos, scribes, etc.  I prefer to keep each project separate with all the files in the same folder for easy access, organization, and/or in case I need to share or backup my files. Lumping ALL my scribes into an appdata folder doesn't help me at all. I prefer to keep all specific product-related contents in the specific project folder.

2. I've never saved my files under any application under Appdata folder unless it's something more obscure like app settings or other information that you rarely access. Why can't I set the "pre-determined location......I think you called this the base folder? I'm still confused.

3. I will never save to the "cloud" as I work on products that need to remain within my internal company cloud or locally on my computer. Our company security forbids it. I will never access my files on different devices. I have 1 work computer that I can use, that's it.

4. The reason doesn't matter. Normal file saving in most applications, including in Windows Explorer, Microsoft Products, etc allows you the flexibility and convenience to set a default folder and create new folders easily and quickly on the fly.  You can even set favorite quick access folders.

5. "Base" folder seems very unintuitive. I'm still not entirely sure what you mean. Is that the "home" screen when you launch Video Scribe? It doesn't let me create sub folders, only list my videos. In any case, I wouldn't want a bunch of videos listed. I'd want them organized by product, but I would do that in Windows Explorer. You can list the most recent files or most frequently used files, I suppose in this "base" folder view thingy.

6.  This base folder "view" is not a great interface to start an application. A blank page with "folders" that actually aren't meant for organization, they're the scribe files. Unusual. The "folder" icon leads you to believe you can open it and have some kind of structure. All your "launch screen" shows is a blank screen, and a few icons at the bottom.

6. Why do I need to log in every time I open VideoScribe. I'm running it locally, aren't I? I have a permanent license purchased thru my company. I want to install it, run it locally, and not have to log in each time. And I'm pretty much only going to pick my language ONE TIME. Why keep asking me?  It seems to be running it as a cloud product, maybe it is. but if I have a permanent license, why do I need to log in? I don't want to save to the cloud EVER.

Any normal application has the navigation and tools immediately available, like SnagIt Editor below.

As dull as the interface is here, why not have the New Scribe screen be what you see first? Maybe add a File->Open menu. With an option to open Recent files or files on your computer? Normal applications have something like this when you open it:

Why must I confirm exiting Video Scribe EVERY TIME with no option to NOT display it ever again? I don't WISH to close, I WANT to close it. and yes, I'm sure.

• So a couple of bits I can answer there:

"Base" folder seems very unintuitive. I'm still not entirely sure what you mean. Is that the "home" screen when you launch Video Scribe

Yes that's the one, once you have logged in you see the project screen which contains all the scribe projects you have saved to the base folder rather than a specific folder you have created yourself

Why do I need to log in every time I open VideoScribe. I'm running it locally, aren't I?

Largely yes but a decent proportion of the free images and also all the soundtracks are in the cloud. Also while you have a one-off subscription yearly and monthly options are by far the most popular so we need to check your account. 

As dull as the interface is here, why not have the New Scribe screen be what you see first?

So that is the first thing you see, top left of the project screen is the add a new project button but we are redesigning this interface in V3.0 which is in beta. 

As for the other bits thanks for the suggestions and detail! 

• I agree it's annoying being asked if I'm sure I wish to close VideoScribe every time.

• I agree 100% with Sophia,   I want to save the files in the folder that I do choose, put them in USB drive and open them in my friend's videoscribe and ,keep working with him, then save, put them back to the USB unit (or send them by email to be able to be edit by someone else who is part of the team) and go back home/office.
Login to post a comment