This privacy statement explains what personal information we collect and why.
For data protection purposes, Sparkol Ltd, a company incorporated in England and Wales (number 06762963) and having its registered office and main trading address at 5th Floor, 1 Temple Way, Bristol, BS2 0BY, UK is the Controller.
We use global cloud services and your personal information will be stored and processed in these repositories. If it is to be stored outside the EU, then unless the EU Commission has decided that the countries concerned have an adequate level of protection for personal information we will have an enforceable agreement with the service provider containing data protection clauses approved by the EU Commission. The relevant terms are available on request. Further information can be found in section 3 ‘Who we share your personal information with’.
1. Information you provide in connection with your Sparkol account
We use this information:
- To control access to our apps and your materials, provide you with support, administer your account, collect any payments which may be due and address any complaints you may submit - this is necessary for the performance of the contract we have with you.
2. Information we collect through our apps and website
The time you open your account; when and how you use our apps and website; information about the device you use (including its type, its software, the network you use, and the unique IP address associated with your connection to the internet).
We use this information:
- To control access to our apps and your materials, make our apps work the way they should, provide you with support, identify and fix problems, administer your account and collect any payments which may be due - this is all necessary for the performance of the contract we have with you;
- To help us understand how you use our apps and website, test and improve our apps and website, and develop new features and new apps - we have a legitimate interest in ensuring the proper running and operation of our apps and website and in developing new products and services;
- To prompt you to visit our website and/or use our apps - we have a legitimate interest in promoting our business this way;
- To monitor your compliance with our licence and user terms - we have a legitimate interest in ensuring that our apps and services are used properly and are paid for when they should be.
- Where you are when you use our apps and website. We add this information to your content as part of the app’s functionality - this is necessary for the performance of the contract we have with you.
We also record the search terms you use within our apps and your response to the search results, but this information is not stored in a form that associates it with you: it is combined with similar information collected from other users and we use the combined information to provide a richer user experience to all users, with features such as: “Other users who liked this also liked …”.
3. Who we share your personal information with
Our staff will have access to your personal information. We have a legitimate interest in having our IT services provided and supported by third parties and all these people will have signed confidentiality agreements which only permit them to use your personal information for the purpose of performing their duties for us or as required by law.
Our apps and website store very small amounts of information - known as ‘cookies’ - on your device. We use two types:
- First-party cookies; only we can read these. We use them to recognise you when you return to our apps and website and to record your actions and preferences in them, so that you see text in your preferred language and generally have a more personalised experience. We also share this information with Google: they use it to provide us with a statistical view of user behaviour on our apps and website, which we use to improve our apps and website.
- Third-party cookies; by using Our Site, you may also receive certain third party Cookies on your computer or device. Third party Cookies are those placed by websites, services, and/or parties other than us.
You can prevent cookies from being stored on your device by changing your device settings, although blocking first-party cookies will prevent our apps and website from working properly. We suggest you open the ‘help’ function on your device and search for “cookie settings” to see how to do this. You can use the same procedure to allow cookies to be stored again if you change your mind.
5. Your rights
You can change your privacy settings and preferences in relation to direct marketing on your Sparkol account, a guide can be found here.
You have the right to:
- Ask us for a copy of your personal information;
- Ask us to provide some of it in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable form;
- Ask us to correct it if it is wrong and to complete it if it is incomplete;
- Ask us for details of how and why we process it, the legal basis for that processing, and who we have shared it with or will share it with;
- Object to how we process it;
- Ask us to restrict our processing - while we consider your request to have it corrected, for example;
We will deal with requests and objections in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation as it applies in the UK, which means that we will usually respond within one month.
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office about our processing of your personal information or our response to your requests and objections.
6. Payment Gateway
When you pay for a subscription to one of our apps, or for a purchase you make through our apps or website, you will be taken to a secure website operated by a reputable and regulated payment processor. Your payment card details will be collected and processed by that company. The only payment card information we will receive is the last four digits of your 16-digit card number.