What to do if you are trying to update to a new version of VideoScribe on your PC and see the message 'A DLL is required for this installation to complete'. A DLL is a component in the registry which may be missing if you receive this message. The steps below should allow you to install VideoScribe successfully.
First, stop and restart the Windows Installer Service
- Click the Windows menu button (formerly the Start button). For Windows 8 computers you may have to search for 'Services' in the settings menu then select 'View local services').
- In the Start search box type 'Services' and select it when it appears
- Expand the 'Services' window and scroll down to 'Windows Installer'
- Right-click the Windows Installer list item, select 'Stop'
- Right-click again and select 'Start'
Second, add the 'Everyone' group with full control permissions to the permissions list of the default temporary files folder
- Click the Windows menu button (formerly the Start button)
- In the Start search box type %temp% and then click the Temp folder item that appears at the top.
- For Windows 8 users go to C:\Users\[Profile name]\AppData\Local\ – replace [Profile name] with your PC login name e.g. If you log in to your PC profile using the name Matilda, you would use C:\Users\Matilda\AppData\Local\Temp
- In the address bar of the Explorer window, click the folder to the left of Temp in the folder path (Local by default)
- In the folder list, right-click the Temp folder, select 'Properties' and then the 'Security' tab
- Click the 'Edit' button and on the next screen select 'Add'
- In the text window on the next screen, type 'Everyone' and then click 'Check Names' – 'Everyone' should now be underlined
- Click 'OK'
- Check the box for full control under the 'Allow' column
- Click 'OK', then 'OK' again, and 'OK' again to close all the windows
You may also want to try Microsoft Fixit, which is a program that runs a check for errors on your computer, e.g. if there is a corrupt file causing problems it will identify it and try to fix it. These instructions show you how to use Fixit to repair the DLL.
If you're still having problems, please contact our support team directly.