Recovering Video scribe projects

• Hi, My Mac crashed sometime back and I have been trying to recover some of my previous projects done on Video scribe. (I had to format the Mac) None of the projects were save online and I don't have any saved offline. Can I be able to retrieve the videos?

1 person has this question
  • By default, scribes are saved to the folder:
    \Macintosh HD\Users\[your username]\Library\Application Support\VideoScribeDesktop\Local Store

You can also manually save them to the cloud (online) or manually save them as .scribe files to a destination of your choice (including external drives or folders that get backed up automatically for example).

If you only saved them to the deafult location, and that folder was erased when you formatted, then they are gone.

If you still have access to the version of that folder (or a backup copy) from before the format, then you may be able to  restore some old scribes. (install videoscribe then replace the new folder with the old one. Be aware that if you made any new scribes since the formatting, this process will wipe them out and replace them with old ones, so you should save any new ones online before restoring the old ones.)

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Hi! 

I have a similar problem. The thing is that it's been almost a year since I last used VS and I just have one project saved online, the other two are missing and I can't find them in my time machine (I'm sure they must be there). I've  just reinstalled the program, so I don't know if there's a problem with that. 

Any advice is welcome!

•  Hi,
    scribes saved in the cloud (online) are not deleted unless you manually delete them.

locally saved scribes are not deleted unless you delete them or you use hard drive cleanup software that tages them as unneeded files and removes them.

Locally saved scribes are only meant to be seen and opened from within the videoscribe program.

1) maybe you had more than one free trial account or pro account and you reactivated an account that only had one scribe saved in the cloud.

2) maybe you are confusing the cloud with locally saved scribes.  scribes are saved locally in videoscribe by default. Saving locally means that if you save a scribe on one computer, you will not be able to find it or open it on another computer. You can only open it from the same computer you used to save it.  (also if the hard drive is erased, the scribe will be erased.)

I hope you find your other scribes

-Mike (videoscribe user)
  • If the scribes are saved locally and changed my computer but have everything backed up in Time Machine, are they going to be erased anyway? I think that's the problem, maybe they were lost somewhere in between. 

Thank you anyway!

• I did a scribe with my smartphone. how can I retrieve it on my PC?? thanks

• use your phone to save it to the cloud folder. then use your computer to open it from the cloud folder.

You will need to have an active videoscribe membership or a free trial on your computer. You will need to use the same email and password to access the cloud folder on both devices.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Hi,

I have listed the contents of the folder you mentioned above (\Macintosh HD\Users\[your username]\Library\Application Support\VideoScribeDesktop\Local Store) and there is no .scribe file. The only reference I've found to my projects is in the file videoScribeProjects.xml. I can see the title, but then I can't find the .scribe file.

Is there any way to get the .scribe file once the trial has ended?

Regards.

• Projects saved within videoscribe (at the locations mentioned), are not saved as .scribe files. They are saved in a format that is only intended to be accessed from within the videoscribe program. Users are not intended to alter or manipulate those files outside of the videoscribe program.

I don't know if there is a way to convert that data to a .scribe file. I don't know if that would violate the videoscribe terms of use. I wouldn't recommend messing with the files at that location.

If you saved your projects to the cloud folder you can download them from your account page on this website as .scribe files.

If you know anyone with an active account, they should be able to login to videoscribe on your computer and export a locally saved project as a .scribe file.

-Mike (videoscfribe user)

• Hey Videoscribe, you must put scribe files in a local location so we can use time machine to recover. You have to do it. It's the way virtually all other software file-saving systems work. It not only allows people to recover lost work, but you can recover lost work at different times--in essence a save history. You must have your internal reasons to do it the way you do it, but it's clearly for reasons that are more relevant to your convenience rather than your user's.

~Drew (Videoscribe user who would love to recommend it, but can't right now).

• I'm pretty sure that, by default, time machine backs up everything, including the videoscribedesktop folder which contains all of your locally saved projects.

Are you saying it doesn't?

Have you manually deselected some folders?
  • Yes, Time Machine will back up your entire macOS/OSX operating system, unless you specifically ask it to back up only certain directories. Time Machine does not back up Bootcamp partitions.

• I lost my all day unsaved work :( But thanks for @Mike Metcalf, I found library/app support/ videoscribedesktop / local store / documents the backup.scribe!!! :) I imported it to the videoscribe, and everything is back. Big thank you!

• Thanks for posting your results!

• oh please, you are my hero. I went crazy when I thought I have to start over my project :(

Login to post a comment