VideoScribe Help

Topic not covered?

Start a new topic

How to keep line thickness in SVG

Hi all,

When I draw a picture in Illustrator with the pencil tool set at 10 px (or points), and save it as an SVG it seems like VS draws the picture with a thinner thickness, and corrects this as soon as the 'drawing' is finished.

Is there any way to correct this, besides the 'hidden line' trick I've seen so often which always uses a bitmap to display after 'drawing' (and doesn't render that nice, compared to 100% vector lines).

I really like to know.

Mark,

If you don't want the hand, there are lots of alternatives. The easiest one is to let the browser animate the SVG and capture the animation with QuickTime, or Camtasia, or equivalent. e.g.: http://goo.gl/NXAtTY . I find VideoScribe's timing stuff to be so miserable that I never use it, so I don't mind giving it up. I just run the scribe rather slowly in VideoScribe to get a bunch of frames, then I import the video file into Premier and do all the time stretching and voiceover sync in Premier. It takes 1/4 the time to do it that way when compared to messing with Videoscribe's idiotic timing UI. Given my workflow, browser-rendered SVGs aren't much of a hassle. I only use VideoScribe when I need the hand.

-Allen

Mark,
the artifacts at the line intersections and methods to fix them, are discussed in tip #7 in the link in my previous reply. Here it is again: Making SVG Images Draw Well (2015 update)

Regarding no pop: like i said, i don't know why i sometimes get it and sometimes not. I have to find time to do more testing.

-Mike (videoscribe user)
Thanks, Mike. Missed that bit.

Allen:

That is a nifty way of working! I will look into that further. So, in essence, the workaround for the lacking tools in VideoScribe - is NOT to use VideoScribe!! Brilliant! ;D

-Mark.

Am I missing something? This thread is over three years old and it feels like they haven't fixed the problem yet? I drew my SVG in illustrator, lines are basic at three points. I followed the settings in this post: http://help.videoscribe.co/support/discussions/topics/1000070696 and yet when the hand is finished drawing the line thickness changes all at once so it is very distracting. If I can't use my own drawings then this program is worthless. Any direction I can get on eliminating the pop would be very appreciated. 

Savvy Productions

There are many things that should be, and have not been, updated and fixed. I don't know what to tell you, other than Sparkol do not seem to be interested in making their product professional-grade. Line thickness problems, lack of numerical sizing, lack of professional output (full access to Quicktime features) options - these are but a few of the necessities for people like us who work in the field of professional video and animation.

So far, I have been able to convince most of my clients that certain things do not mater, and for others, I have had to resort to After Effects to cover some of the more glaring problems. Unfortunately, VideoScribe is the only option out there that comes close to doing what ti should, and I think they know it. So, captive audience and all.

And don't get me started about the insecurity of the whole "software as service" model. If some of my cleints knew that their data was observable by some random company in the UK, they would be apoplectic. Again, no way to change that, or find out what their security protocols are.

From what I have seen, when the mods do answer questions here, they simply say that if a problem or feature is "liked" enough on Facebook, then they will consider it. You should take from that what you will.

-Mark.

It will never be fixed. Last time I talked to a Sparkol engineer (a couple years ago), he said that fixing that problem would require a rewrite of their entire rendering engine, and they just weren't going to do it. I've dealt with the pop by editing it out in Premier. That is, you can't really use VideoScript as a standalone system if you want professional results. It's too buggy, and the UI is just way too hard to use. Things just work better when you use VideoScribe as an animation engine, load the resulting video into a reasonable editing package (I'm using Adobe Premier), then adjusting timing, adding soundtracks, getting rid of that annoying pop, etc., in the video-editing system. Doing things like sountrack synchronization in VideoScribe is incredibly painful when compared to doing the same thing in Premier.

Frankly, the only reason I use VideoScribe is that the competition is too expensive for me. If I had the budget, I'd dump Sparkol in a heartbeat. Can't imagine that that attitude on a customer's part will work well for them in the long term.

Allen, what software do you think is better? Also, I'm willing to edit it in Premiere or AE, but the pop happens the first frame the hand is gone. Should I just slow the animation down a ton until I get one frame to freeze?

Savvy Productions

There are at least two different issues with similar symptoms

There are methods that tend to work best discussed in this thread and other threads.

Please attach your svg or a .scribe file for evaluation or specific suggestions.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Stephen, It's best to describe my workflow with the following picture of a drawing in AI. The large rectangle is my 1080p area (the drawing is effectivly larger than 1080p) When I load it into Videoscribe, I position the drawing so that that rectangle fills the viewport, and the numbers at the bottom are off screen. Looking at the layers on the right. Each of those numbers is a different layer, and I position the layers between visible drawing elements at each point where I want the hand to go away. I export it as one big SVG. Video scribe draws it in the usual way as a single image, but the hand effectively disappears every time it drops down off screen to draw one of those numbers. Since the entire drawing is a single element as far as VideoScribe is concerned, there's no pop until after the entire drawing is drawn. Since every number layer represents a hand-free state of the drawing, I can slice the video into into segments in Premier and stretch each segment as necessary.

I should also say that that doesn't solve the artifact that appears every time two lines cross, so I try to minimize the number of crossing lines in the drawing.

Mike,

Here is a link to watch the video, PASSWORD: savvy  https://vimeo.com/208898847

Attached is the SVG

Savvy Productions

Allen,

Hiding the numbers on the bottom looks like a brilliant solution. I'll give that a try. THANKS DUDE!!!

Savvy Productions

You're welcome. I should also add that the text in that image is a vector font that I made by tracing over a ComicSans image with a 7-pixel-wide pencil tool, and then and turning it into an AI symbol set, one symbol per letter. I form a word by dragging the symbols that represent the letters into the image and then aligning them properly, and then breaking the connection with the symbol so that each line is it's own vector. The lines that make up the letters are all single strokes, so they render correctly in video scribe. if you try to use standard text in AI, the VideoScribe animation will draw an outline around each letter then fill it it, which looks ridiculous. It took me a couple hours to create my symbol "font,' but it was time well spent.

Normally we're happy to let these conversations run their course, but I thought this was a good opportunity to offer a few clarifications. 

Our Privacy Statement, updated 14/02/2017, is here and explains what information we collect and why. We also recently updated our Licence and User Terms, which is here.

We don't publicly talk about how some parts of VideoScribe work, but we have helped lots of people to get the app inside firewalls and network restrictions and are happy to answer security questions. The best way to learn more about this process is to raise a ticket.

There are lots of updates in the pipeline for lots of Sparkol products, including VideoScribe, so this will be a very interesting year. I think the sheer number of feature requests, at all levels of popularity, means it will be difficult to do everything, but I'm confident that there's something for everything in the pipeline for the coming months. 

Thanks!

Whoops my previous reply fell in the middle of an avalanche of other comments, instead of immediately after the comment to which i meant to reply. As a result,  it may seem disconnected or out of context, but I'll leave it.

Regarding the issue, mentioned by Allen, of the artifact every time lines cross if you are referring to the symptom shown at the beginning of this video:

There are some simple solutions. Please see tip 7 in the following thread and any other replies that deal with save settings for SVGs in illustrator CC or inkscape versions from 2013 or newer : Making SVG Images Draw Well (2015 update)

Regarding the image POP at the end of each drawing, I've been doing more testing.  see my post from march 18th 2017 in this thread:  Making SVG Images Draw Well (2015 update)

I removed "width="14400px" height="14400px"  from your SVG and it worked without popping.

after some googling, it seems like the "responsive" save option (that I saw someone else mention) removes those same height and width tags. There are other important factors, but in the case of your SVG, looks like that was the one change it needed.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment