Resume a cancelled subscription

If you've cancelled your subscription but changed your mind, you can remove the cancellation.

  • Once you’ve cancelled your subscription, you can continue to use the software until the end of the current paid period.
  • If your subscription has already expired, you will need to purchase a new subscription.
  • If your subscription has not yet expired, you can remove the cancellation to reinstate the recurring payment using the steps below.

Please note: Resuming a cancelled subscription is not available online for all customers. If you do not see the following options please raise a ticket and the team will be happy to remove the cancellation for you to resume your subscription.

  1. Log into your account on the VideoScribe website
    1. Click on the ‘Addresses’ tab
    2. Click the link to 'open your FastSpring account management'. This will redirect you to our partner site.
  2. Resume a cancelled subscription
    1. Click on the ‘Subscriptions’ tab
    2. Drop down the ‘Manage’ menu
    3. Click ‘Un-Cancel’
    4. Click ‘Un-cancel’ on the confirmation window