Dashed SVG line turns solid when imported

• Hi, I'm using the middle bottom line drawing setting.  Is there another I should use to maintain the dashed quality of my line?

Thanks!

Michele

• Hi,

would you be able to attach the SVG image here so we can take a look?

• At this point, the application doesn't even ask me how I want to import this image. ( I think it is drawing from those already uploaded, and all of them are coming in sold. )  I have renamed the file and resaved it to a new name in AI as part of my troubleshooting efforts.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Sorry, here's the attachment.  I have to do about 6 different lines, so this is really important to me.

svg
    (936 Bytes)
  • There is not really an easy way to get that line to draw in a staggered way. The effect that is on that line would not be recognised by VideoScribe. The easiest way would be to convert the image to a PNG, import it into a vector editor (such as AI) and then lay an invisible stroke over the top as described in this tutorial. Alternatively you would need to create each dash as an individual image and import them in one by one which could take a very long time ;-).

• I actually created the line in Ai.  Thanks for your assistance, though.

• Or just paint the line in Illustrator and use the eraser to separate the line to small dashes

•  To elaborate:

1) Probably the simplest method to make a dotted line that will draw properly:  You can make a long basic stroked path using the pen tool, add many many  points along the path using the pen tool, then select and delete every third point to create gaps.

2) Using a path with a "dashed style", or any kind of procedural effect or special brush applied to it, will not work correctly in many cases. Videoscribe may not know how to interpret the special style. Videoscribe mainly understands basic stroked paths.

3) Using the paintbrush tool is another option if you are prepared to also create a basic (transparent) stroked path covering the paintbrush art for the videoscribe hand to follow.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Post-Mortem: I WAS able to get the dashed line to work, although the lack of simultaneity in VideoScribe ended up making the effect I was going for a bit jerky. 

I followed Matthew Cook's advise at the top of this thread and saved the the dashed line style I created in AI as a PNG.  Then I used the same dashed line in AI and made it transparent with points at each end of each dash.  Then I covered the PNG with the invisible line and saved it as an SVG. When imported into VideoScribe this yielded the reveal of the line one dash at a time with the effect that the line seemed to roll from one 'frame' to the next.

Then I timed in the pictures I wanted to have appear along this line.  Unfortunately, the lack of simultaneity in VS meant that I had to wait for the line to finish 'unrolling' before my images could appear. Each line had to be carefully, placed and exactly the right length, so it didn't end in the middle of the screen.  I didn't quite end up with the effect of having arrived at an image, rather the image pops in after the line ends, and that was what felt jerky about the finished product.

The eraser idea is more interesting than the thought of making a huge number of dashes and attempting align them into a path.  However, using the eraser to create a uniform dash would be tricky (at least using my existing AI skill set) and I'm not sure if the eraser actually takes out the path or simply the color. If it didn't eliminate the path, I doubt it would act any differently than my original image did.  And, for as much time as it took me to get this working, the individual dash idea might have worked better from the beginning.

• This worked for me:

1. Convert the line to dashed
    2. Make the dashed line to have a stroke of 0.0001 pt thick
    3. Object>Path>Outline Stroke 

Because the lines segments are so very small, they rectangles are converted to line segments. You need to zoom up on different segments to make sure they are not rectangles. Also, if you have horizontals or verticals, it will help to rotate the object 45° before doing step 3. HTH.

• This worked for me:

1. Convert the line to dashed
    2. Make the dashed line to have a stroke of 0.0001 pt thick
    3. Object>Path>Outline Stroke 

Because the lines segments are so very small, they rectangles are converted to line segments. You need to zoom up on different segments to make sure they are not rectangles. Also, if you have horizontals or verticals, it will help to rotate the object 45° before doing step 3. HTH.

Login to post a comment