Line drawn too thick when put into Videoscribe

• Im creating my own custom illustrations in Adobe Illustrator.

When I save them as an SVG and put them into videoscribe, the line is drawn too thickly and therefore revealing some of the fill colour next to the line.

I have tried reducing the line thickness in Illustrator, expanding some of the lines and just having them revealed, and Ive also tried changing the default image quality when importing into videoscribe. 

None of these things have solved the problem, see my image attached to see what is happening.

I have a deadline to work to so would really really appreciate a solution as soon as you are able.

Thanks,

Emma

svg
  • Hi,

There are some issues with Adobe creative cloud "new" pencil tool that make SVGs work weird in videoscribe so that may be a factor.

Also the typical arrangement is

1) filled paths on the bottom for color fills

2) stroked paths in the middle for the line art (or paintbrush lines which are fills)

3) transparent stroked paths on top to reveal the fills underneath

You seem to be using a different arrangement which has the stroked paths for the line art on the bottom and a copy of the line art converted to outlines on top with huge stroked paths instead of fills for your color fills in the middle. But if it's working the way you want it, then you probably don't need to change it.

related links:
     create-your-own
    videoscribe-v1-tutorial-creating-your-own
    http://help.videoscribe.co/support/discussions/topics/1000031362

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your reply!

Ive reopened and saved the file in an old version of Illustrator (CS5), and my file works as it should. So I think it might be the 'new' pencil tool in the creative cloud version thats the problem here...

Not sure how to fix that...

Emma

• Your'e welcome!
    Yeah I'm not sure if there is a way to disable the new pencil features in CC but if you find a way I hope you'll come back and post your results here!

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Hi Emma, Joe here.

I think the results you're seeing may have something to do with how VideoScribe works.

We have similar effects on some of our items where there are different coloured lines that cross each other.

This is because when an item is being drawn by VideoScribe it reveals how the final image will look on the canvas.

My suggestion would be to separate the different sections into individual images and layer them onto the canvas instead.

• Hi Joe,

Thank you for getting back to me. 

Sure, but the problem with that is that I then wouldn't be able to draw the line first and get it to colour in, if you see what I mean.

I think it is a bug with Creative Cloud, as when I re-saved my image using CS5 Illustrator, it worked fine.

Thanks,

Emma

• Mike - I will! But perhaps Sparkol can solve the bug....

• Hi Emma,

Yes, hopefully it will be added to the known bugs list and addressed if possible.

It looks like the last post by Ian in this thread has been updated: http://help.videoscribe.co/support/discussions/topics/1000033902/page/last#post-1000058430
    possibly identifying a setting in the SVG save options that can be unchecked/unticked to remove the symptom .

Might be worth a try if you prefer to use CC. But in that thread it looks to me that there is still a difference in line thickness between the "fixed" CC version and the CS4 version, so I'm not sure what that indicates.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment