CAMERA SETTING TIPS for Videoscribe version 2 (2015)

• QUESTION: How can I better control the movement of the camera or prevent the camera from zooming in or out when I don't want it to? How can I prevent excessive unwanted zooming? How can I get the camera to go where I want it to go for each element?

ANSWER:
    summary: click "set camera" IMMEDIATELY after importing each element before clicking or doing anything else... then adjust the scale or position of the element as desired. (you can click "set camera" again if you move the canvas/camera to a new position)

STEP 1) When you add a new element (image or text) it will appear on your canvas already selected in a reddish rectangle. (and the thumbnail image of the element will be highlighted in blue in the thumbnail tray at the bottom of the screen) Don't click the element or anything else or the camera may zoom in or out to a new position.

step 2) With the new element still selected, IMMEDIATELY click the"set camera" icon

you can then manually zoom in or out (using the plus and minus icons in the lower left corner of the canvas ) or scale the element or move the element by click+dragging it, or move the camera by dragging the canvas. If you change the camera position or zoom in or out, be sure to click "set camera" again if you wish to save the new position.

step 3)  If you click any already-selected element in the timeline at the bottom of the screen, the camera will automatically zoom in to the currently set position for that element

(If you have not manually set a new camera position for the element, the camera will use videoscribe's "default" generally this means the camera will zoom in until the height of the element fills about 70% of the canvas height. Making a whole scribe that way may result in the zoom level gradually increasing with every new element  until you run into memory problems.)

step 4)  After you set the camera for that element, any time you select and click that element (in other words, click it twice) in the timeline, the camera will show you the position that you have set instead of just zooming in to the original default position.

step 5)  repeat the process for each element that you add if you wish to control their camera positions.

You can check out the tutorial videos and boot camp sessions on the INSTANT ANSWERS page for more info: INSTANT ANSWERS

Furthermore:  I've posted a suggestion that when we import an image, the default camera position should be automatically set to stay exactly where it currently is, instead of changing unexpectedly later. If you like that idea, you can click "LIKE" in the following thread: http://help.videoscribe.co/support/discussions/topics/1000030398

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• Thank you Mike! After following your instructions and practicing them in my video I am doing MUCH better, and I finally feel as if I have some control over what they look like.

Alison

• Great! Glad to hear that.

For anyone reading my tips above, I would just like to add that the process I described is not necessarily the only "official, correct" way, but it is a pretty simple process that can help users avoid most camera-related problems.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

Login to post a comment